Friday, August 5, 2011

A call for recipes


You may or may not be aware that I'm returning to college in about 2 weeks. I'm returning to the whole super-duper-extra strength budget plan and buckling in for 3 years of taking the bus, mending my clothes, and dollar movie social gatherings. Woot. But the eating. Oh the eating. You see, between choir and work, the past year of my life has been spent in restaurants rather than the kitchen. And let's face it, it's actually more economical for one person to get their veggies from a $5 half salad at Zupa's than it is for them to dump $30 on fresh produce at the grocery store in order to make a salad only have most of the salad go to waste. And $1 fish taco night at Rubio's is ever my Tuesday night fare. But outside of the really great deals and charitable souls willing to buy my food for me, I'm going to have to give up the whoppers, Wendy's, and whims. And cafe rio. *sniff* oh cafe rio.

Plus. I've been eating school lunch for the past 3 years, and I won't have that anymore either. It wasn't great. But it was free.

So as I sit here polishing off the last of my chocolate ice cream, I ask you: what did you eat in college? Favorite, fast recipes for one singular sensational person, priced comparative to a package of ramen or box of Mac and cheese (the generic store brand).

Please. Help out the girl who just dumped $408.09 on 4 textbooks.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Jessie said...

have you ever thought of becoming a "freegan"? the price is right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

Stefany said...

You have already mentioned ramen noodles, but my twist on them is that I must have a vegetable with my meal. So, I buy frozen broccoli and steam a little in the microwave to add to it. That way, there is no fresh produce to waste, as you can take just what you need at the time and leave the rest in the fridge. The same could be done with a California veggie mix, if you prefer variety.

Jeannine said...

I was just thinking as I ate my peanut butter and jam sandwich about how I lost 30 lbs in college eating pb&j sandwiches. Not that it's all that healthy, but if you vary the kind of bread, jam, and peanut butter, you'll never get tired of it.
My healthier suggestion is to make freezer meals. It does take a little planning and time away from your homework, but it's a nice alternative to ramen occassionaly. I'll add you to my FB group for make ahead meals. The very first post has a couple of mac n cheese variations.

leona said...

Baked potatoes were Curt's favorite ... he put bbq sauce on top... I am more of a sour cream and cheese sort of girl (oh and onion salt lots of onion salt :)
and crepes ... crepes with anything in them is delicious and can be very cheap. Flour milk eggs and a little sugar stuffed with a TBS of cream cheese and just about anything is marvelous!

leona said...

Oh and don't forget burritos ... a can of refried beans can go along way when serving one or two AND they are good for you ... we always get the black refieds and veggies.

And eggs ... a small frittata is delicious and easy and cheap :)

Good luck with school and your three years of sacrifice ... in many many ways I am envious of your new adventure! Have a blast and if you email me your address would love to send a starving student(and friend) a care packae from time to time ;)