Monday, October 20, 2008

An Ode

I am keenly aware that many of you will judge me to be just plain weird for this one, but you should know that when I am sleepy while driving, I must entertain my brain with some puzzle. Last night I was thrilled to find one last can that had rolled under my seat, left from the road trip out to Utah. I can't say whether it was the caffeine or the poetry that kept my brain functioning from Orem to Salt Lake. The most pleasant thing of all was that when I woke up this morning, I still remembered it. So here it is, for your reading pleasure. Nancy's Driving Poetry.

To the Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper that was under the Passenger Seat of my car Last Night:

Diet
I Laugh
At your sugar free
Classification
Filled instead
With Aspartame
When it is the carbonation
Ever present
That causes bulk

Cherry
Cherished
Artificial flavor
Generic and sweet
And coloring red
The liquid I love
Dying my teeth
So I brush obsessively

Vanilla
Ignored, blasphemed
Your value is scorned
By those who do not
Take the time to taste
Yet you continue
To blend
They don't even know
You are there.

Dr.
I know
No Phd
Graces your intellect
But instead
You were intended
As medicinal
Soothing, simple
Carbonated prune juice

Pepper
Pep
Not the spice,
But the alert,
Caffeine
Which wakes me
As I drive
Drowsy from the Scrabble
Essential Energy.


You should know that while I frequently compose random verse in my head (some call it backyard poetry, but mine always happens while driving) I do not make the effort to write it down. I leave poetry to the literary genius type, and to the angst-ridden 14 year old. Plus, writing while driving is generally considered dangerous. And as for the beverage choice, as my Karaoke bar friends would say "She's moved on to the hard stuff!"

*coming soon: a post about my new hair color. But for now, it is too difficult for me to take a picture of the back of my own head. So here's the teaser; No more teaching seminary with this shade!

5 comments:

Carolanne said...

I feel ashamed to call myself an English major in the presence of such clear literary genius. Your sODEa was very stimulating.

Nancy said...

LOL! you have managed some fabulous word play in your few lines as well, so do not be ashamed, your own brilliance astounds me. I have to question the value of any poetry that includes the word "aspartame", but I know you have impeccable TASTE.

Jess said...

See, this is why I never did well in my poetry classes. You stole those genes. In a weird, and odd way, that was pretty good.

An english lit major's job is to recognize literary geniuses and spend hours analyzing their works. We aren't literary geniuses ourselves, we leave that to the creative writing department. (I don't know which one Carolanne is, I just wanted to define the difference.)

Brittany said...

Oh Carolanne...some things never change! Lame, but funny. N ancy, this poem, or "sodea" is somthing that I would have thought came somewhere around 3 am or so...but no. 1:04 pm? That' just funny.

Unknown said...

I love it! I think you have inspired me to write more :)
It was great fun to see you wednesday!