Sunday, November 8, 2009

A sad story.

Today I decided to have a chocolate milkshake. I reasoned with myself that I haven't been using them as stats incentive for a t least a month and that I got a really good score on a stats test last week, so I should be allowed to have one just because I wanted one. No stats homework associated with it, just a plain old chocolate milkshake because they are yummy.

And I got home and I got the ice cream out of the freezer to thaw a little, and I put a few scoops of ice cream in a cup and poured milk over it and ate some of the frozen milk chunks that formed and slurped a little of the chocolate ice cream off the top before adding a little more milk and stirring it up. Then I settled down in front of an episode of NCIS on my computer and...

I didn't want the milkshake. It didn't look good, it didn't sound good, even no longer associated with stats homework, even having gotten a "B" on a stats test, no thought process worked. I simply didn't want a chocolate milkshake.

That has never happened to me. Ever.

Is it because I am getting old and now I prefer healthy things? Or did my pavlovian experiment ruin me forever? How long does it take to heal from the psychological damage we inflict upon ourselves?

6 comments:

susan m hinckley said...

PLEASE tell me that Relief Society still goes down better with a handful of M&M's . . . You're making me a little nervous, Nancy.

Ann Marie said...

I knew it!!!!! School is the black hole of all that is good! Oooo, I think I'll turn that thought into a post.

Nancy said...

Oh, M&Ms stil help through relief society (and actually this week it was all sorts of fun size candy bars, thanks be for after-halloween sales). Which can only mean one thing. I like relief society more than I like stats. yikes!

Brittany said...

Think of it as a good thing! I wish that would happen to me with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. No, seriously I do. The only problem is, if I tried it like your theory, I'd gain 100 pounds before I got sick of it (I tend to eat it in LARGE doses...eek!)

The Wengerts said...

I think you need to go see a doctor...

Carolanne said...

I don't rally like chocolate flavored anything, but since I read this post I haven't been able to stop thinking about one. So I made one last night (with crushed Butterfingers!) and it was delicious. Maybe you transferred your addiction to me!