Monday, June 20, 2011

Ben Titera

Last night I was in the throes of tour prep, packing and organizing and re-packing and visiting with people, when I got word that my friend Ben died in an accident the night before. I was stunned. I really did stumble around for a bit, emotional shock and some stuttering and tears. Luckily no one was around to see how messed up I got over it. I was surprised at how messed up I got over it.

Ben and I hadn't seen each other in years. In fact, the last time I had a chance to see him it was just a few weeks after my grandfather passed away, so I couldn't take the time off work to go. And I was sad about that, but I figured we'd have another chance. We had years ahead of us. Right?

And we weren't even a little bit good at staying in touch. Our news of each other was gathered through friends who did stay in touch. He recently moved to Park City and connected with me on Facebook, and I was looking forward to find a chance to hang out with him again.

So why does it matter so much?how much of an emptiness can come from the loss of a friend you never see?

I guess you'd have to know Ben.

He was an elder in my mission. The district leader in a place called Torcy. He arrived there a month after I did, and I'm afraid my reputation of being the sister that "didn't take any crap" had preceded me. Bt this district was so accepting. And in walked elder Titera, whose reputation as the elder who gave out crap was well known and well earned. There was the potential for every conflict there. But he jumped right in and trusted me. He initiated a relationship of kindness and encouraged me to explore the more fun aspects of missionary work, all the while bearing a powerful testimony. He taught me that you don't have to be a stick in the mud in order to serve the Lord. And he taught me in a sweet and gentle way. Patiently. Which is a bit of a miracle in and of itself ,since while he was being kind and patient with me he was at the same time hog-tying his companions, stealing chickens from members, and being generally and totally disruptive to all the order I thought i was supposed to be maintaining. He was the elder who was the target of the great blueberry pie adventure, something that had him peeing blue for weeks to come. And i remember his shock at my being the person who delivered the blow, baked the pie and served it in the name of another elder's birthday. But I think that was also some evidence of his success at getting me to loosen up. You see, Ben's strength was teaching through love, and that love was expressed in a spirit of inclusion that reflected the very core of the gospel. He was the kind of guy I never would have hung out with or even approached in high school, but we grew to have a love and respect that I treasured for my entire mission. It made me feel better about myself to know that someone like Ben Titera loved me, and that I could love him back. He testified boldly to the world around him profound understanding of God's love for everyone. And he testified quietly to me that I was included. I think it was the first time in my life that I was included in something so amazing. It made all the difference, coming from a district where the sisters were regarded as second class citizens and the zone leader manifested time after time that he was less than trustworthy.

So I've carried his impact on my life with me every day since. It is one of the memories I rely on when depression or anxiety attempt to destroy the life I am trying to build.

Once, during our mission, he called me classy.

Once, after our mission, he called me beautiful.

I can't tell you how rare and precious even just those words have been to me.

This post is a mess. I am a mess. We are all the way on the other side of the nation, doing sound checks and preparing for a concert. And while we were rehearsing I heard words that I have sung a hundred times, renewed to me today in a perfect description of my lost friend.

Perhaps you think me wild,
Or simple as a child.
I am a child of glory.
I am born from above,
My soul is filled with love,
I love to tell the Story.

My soul now sits and sings,
And practices it's wings,
And contemplates the hour,
When the messenger shall say,
"Come quit this house of clay,
And with bright angels tower."

My soul doth long to go
Where I may fully know
The glory of my Savior
And as I pass along,
I'll sing the Christian song,
I'm going to live forever.

I can just picture my giant of a friend towering with the angels, laughing as he hog-ties a few, and singing along in his not-so-refined but always enthusiastic voice. I'm going to live forever.






He's the second from the left.

Dieu soit avec toi jusqu'au revoir, quand la mort, le deuille ne serents plus.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

12 comments:

Elizabeth Shore said...

Nancy! Thank you for taking time to write your thoughts about BJ! They were so nice to read; BJ really is/was one of a kind-- charismatic and fearless, along with many other talents. He and I met in college, and then ended up in the same ward in Seattle years later. The world is so small, and life is so fleeting. I am in shock that he is gone. Death brings the gravity of this life to the forefront. It provides cause for introspection, for gratitude of health and life and of the moment. BJ affected many lives for good. May we add his influence to the good energy we pass along to others. And may we always be grateful for friends and for the moment.

The Wengerts said...

Nancy,
I was just thinking about his laugh this morning. Who could forget that? BTW, he is the second one on the left on the picture :)
Love,
Lucie

Nancy said...

Thanks for catching that, lucie. Second, not first. :)

Hanley Family said...

I'm a friend of BJs and we are putting together website for him and book. May I use your post?

Also do you know anyone else I can contact from mission that may have more stories of hog tying and such


Maran Hanley

Karen Reisiger said...

Thank you for your remembrances of BJ. He was a dear high school friend of mine. Like you, we haven't been able to stay in contact all that well, but he holds a special place in my heart and I will miss him dearly.

Brittany said...

Wow. I'm sitting here crying and I didn't even know him. But it sounds like he was pretty special. I'm sure he'll be happy to know that his influence is still a constant in the world today. And even his death providing light and insight to many. Sorry for you loss!

Nancy said...

Maran, you absolutely can use the post, please do. I hope his children will have an opportunity to learn what a remarkable man their dad is. I have names of others with info, feel free to contact me via Facebook! I'm under Nancy Beth (Beth is my last name on there).

Annie said...

Nancy,
Thank you. I love your reflections. They are so true to form. Ben loved you. I am grateful to know you. I am so grateful that the kids will have so many wonderful friends to help them remember their dad.
xo, annie

Dave Hanley said...

I reposted your blog post on BenTitera.com. (Hope that's OK. I just wanted more people to read it.) Anyone can submit a story, photo, etc., there and we'll repost it.

Jess said...

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful person. I love the blueberry pie story.

Pablo Bedoya said...

Thank you for your words about BJ. I knew him since the 7th grade and will miss him so dearly. He could bring crazy fun into any place, any time. Truly a one-of-a-kind friend who I will never forget.

pascal jean said...

@ Nancy,

My name is pascal jean and I live in caen , in france.
I have known a missionary of the lds who's name was Benjamin Titéra here in Caen, probably in 1999 or 2000 ( perhaps 2001), I don't remember exactly.
He was here in mission in caen for the church before to continue the mission in paris.
I would like to know if this is that Benjamin that has died in June.
I don't find your email on the blog Nancy, if you or an other person who has known Benjamin Titera see this message, thanks to contact me in my email :
pascal.jean@live.fr.

Thanks to contact me in my email to give me more precisions if you see this message. I thanks you.

Sory for my english.

pascal jean 16 August 2011