Saturday, June 4, 2011

This update is for you Jim.

Not that you need it.

In fact, everyone knows most of the stuff here. But whatever.

My friend Jim was making fun of me the other day because I haven't updated in 7 months. Its not a question of having things to say. Its not about having time. Its also not because I'm depressed or particularly happy or any of that stuff.

Its because I'm lazy.

I'm all for honesty. So you should know. My room is a mess. I cleaned out my car this morning. Its a beautiful day, and I'm sitting in a dark living room eating the peanut butter ripple out of a carton of Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream. But I went hiking with my friend Elisa earlier and will head out to mow my lawn in a little bit. I'll also do some laundry and clean the kitchen and do those normal Saturday things that aren't worth blogging about.

Life is normal.

Which is awesome.

Actually, boring Saturday chores aside life is better than normal. Much of that attitude is a result of the carton of Ice Cream keeping me company. Also its because in 2 weeks I will be leaving on my first big tour with the choir. That means a week and a half off work, staying in hotels, eating ridiculous amounts of food, and singing.

So maybe thats a little more glamorous than normal.

Oh yeah, and there's that whole grad school thing. Which starts in the fall. That kind of terrifies me more than excites me. But its something I've wanted and I've been working towards it for a long time. So here are the important points.
-I start August 24th
-No, I don't know how I'm paying yet. But I'm going, so stop asking.
-I'm hoping I can quit my [crap] job and focus on studying the first year. apparently that makes a big difference
-Its called "Master of Science in Counseling Psychology"
-I chose this program because they have an internship at the Pingree School , a center for autism studies.
-I did not get accepted to the U of U. Its probably best. I like this program better anyways
-The program I did get accepted to only accepts 15 people a year. So there, U.
-I had to take the GRE. I decided to apply last minute and therefore only had about 4 days warning to study before I dove in head first.
-I got a 1250. on the GRE. Without really studying. Yay me!
-Yes, I'll be able to diagnose your children with things if they actually have things that need diagnosing.
-sure, I'll give you a discount. After school is paid for. Which may take 20-30 years.


So there's that. Let's take inventory. Hiking. Choir. Time off. Grad School. Ice Cream. Friends that make fun of me a little for silly things. Saturday chores. Mountains.

I knew I'd be happy here.

So life is normal and good. And better than normal. Its part glamorous, part exactly what I want and part more than I thought possible. In fact, I'm still not sure its all possible. But I'm going to try anyways.

3 comments:

Jeannine said...

I was so excited to see a new post from you!!! I'm glad everything is going well. I got busy and took a blogging break too, but I'm kind of getting back into it. Have a great time on the choir tour. Congrats on the awesome score on the GRE and getting into grad school. You will be wonderful and somehow the money will be there. If not, you can do what I did and take out loans and pay on them for the rest of eternity. Seriously, I'm hoping to have them paid off before my 80th birthday. I'm toying with the idea of going back to grad school in a holistic health program, but it would probably mean taking out more loans and I don't know if I will live to be 110 to completely pay them off.
Take care, and keep us posted on important stuff.

The Wengerts said...

Yay for updating! I've been religiously checking on your blog for the past 7 months :) Sooooo, I know I've been harassing you about this, but are you going to come visit me before you choir tour? Pretty please :)

susan m hinckley said...

Ditto on everyone else's enthusiasm! Hooray for something that makes it worth turning on the computer! Nancy, you are one of my favorite humans.