Monday, August 18, 2008

The happiest place ever

I went to my store Saturday. Normally I am appalled at America's consumption. Normally I am offended at our willingness to shell out $45 for a brand-name t-shirt. Normally I am frugal and sensible. I understand that you pay for what you get. I don't believe in Wal-mart, they are the cause of too many bad things, but i don't believe in Abercrombie either. There is always a happy medium. But I do have one great weakness. One expensive weakness. (besides a Cold-Stone cake batter mixed with cookie dough and hot fudge, served in a waffle cone with whipped cream on top. But there, my excuse is, you get what you pay for.)

Rambling. Back to my expensive weakness.

Have you ever been to "Anthropologie?"

It is my favorite store ever, and the cuteness of their stuff is such that i don't mind shelling out $118 for a sweater. Or $6 for a kitchen knob. Or $45 for a "sexy" apron. (I don't know what else to call them, they are so adoreable.) The store has an extremely ecclectic appeal. There are bins of fancy dresser hardware, dishes, bedding, soaps and candles, clothing, jewelery, and did I mention the aprons? You could wander for hours and continue discovering fun new things.

We all have our vices, our weakness, our frivolty. Mine is Anthropolgie. Once for my birthday, my friends pooled their money and got me a gift card, so I could go and actually purchase stuff there without the insane guilt that goes along with such frivolty. With $112 I was able to purchase a pair of earrings, a bottle of perfume, a book, and a cocoa cup. Go ahead, judge me. But I love them all. I wear the earrings more than any other pair. I wear the perfume every sunday. I drink from the cocoa cup frequently. And I brought the book to my preschool class as my favorite book to share one day. (It has pictures of the most glorious desserts you will ever see).

There was one in Minnesota, but it was hard to get to, far away with bad parking. Here, I can just run over to the gateway, park down that alley that I always park in, stop and grab a caramel apple (with butterfinger and white chocolate), and walk into my favorite store ever. You are welcome to join me anytime. Just as long as you promise not to rush me.

1 comment:

Goldarn said...

We have stores here in the Bay Area that charge $200 for a t-shirt.

You'd love it here. :-)