Monday, December 8, 2008

In all fairness...

I have been accused of being a grinch. Really? OK, so the correct phrase was "Beatle-Hating Grinch" and I am ok with that term. But in the spirit of the inces of snow and the Christmas tree going up tonight, I thought I should address the issue of my favorite Christmas songs. The problem is, I am quite sure that you are all a little tired of hearing about my obsession with a certain Salt Lake based choir and their director and his arrangements. So in order to assemble this list, I had to trim out anything included in the hymnbook or any recordings by said choir. Please note that while they are not listed here, they are my absolute favorites, particularly "The First Noel" as arranged by Mack Wilberg, Oh and his arrangement of "Whence is that Goodly Fragrance Flowing?" and also "Still Still Still" and the "Silent Night" we sang at the devotional last night and... I could go on for days. (It's a healthy obsession. really.) I had to seperate them out into two groups as well. The first is my favorite 5 Christmas recordings. You might note that they aren't the traditional "nancy" fare, not choral or classical, at least. My second group will have to be my favorite Christmas Texts, since I am having a hard time narrowing down favorite recordings or ensembles... That's asking too much! In a day or two I will get around to posting my favorite Christmas texts.




Nancy's favorite popularish Christmas recordings:
John Denver and the Muppets (the Christmas Album)-This is actually a very sweet set of songs, which include the silliness of childhood and the tenderness of Jim Henson. There was a time, before Disney owned them, that the Muppets were quite vocal about Christianity and hope. It's the only version of the Twelve Days of Christmas that I can actually sit through, and you get to hear Animal wig out a little with "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and the Electric Mayhem do "Little Saint Nick" and somewhere in the middle Kermit sings a nice little song called "The Christmas Wish." Whenever I am left to myself to choose what to sing at the ward Christmas party, I like to do this one, simply because it has just enough pop sound to it to please the masses, and just enough childhood in it be warm and fuzzy, and just enough spirit in it to remind us why we celebrate.


Charlie Brown Christmas- The music is such a part of the TV Special that it's a worthwile purchase. Nothing brings you back to that childhood cartoon watching feeling quite like hearing the sounds of Linus and Lucy. Do you remember when you would all plan to stay in for the evening in December when this was going to be on TV, and there would be Hot cocoa (Mom's homemade blend) and popcorn (some years even popcorn balls, green and red) and everyone would drag their favortie blankie out in front of the TV and you would laugh at the silly dances and try to memorize them to imitate later, and then Linus would walk out onto that stage and recite Luke 2 and then they all went and decorated Charlie Browns pathetic tree with the lights from Snoopy's house? This is another classic from a time when the media wasn't afraid to proclaim what they believed in! I can't sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing without picturing those little round faces at the end of the cartoon. I watch the special maybe once a Christmas season, but the music stays with me, and every time I cast a Christmas pageant I think to myself "The inkeepers wife had naturally curly hair?"

Song for a Winter's Night, Sarah Mclachlan- It's from the soundtrack for the new version of "Miracle on 34th Street" (I prefer the classic movie actually, since there is the scene with the drunk lady on the telephone "hellooooo? Oh yes, we'd love to have Santy Claus come and stay with us!") Tangent! Back to the song. Its not particularly religious, but its very mellow, and kind of romantic-y and I really have no idea why I could just listen to it over and over again. You could hear it on this blog if you turned up the songs I currently have posted here...


Celtic Women- Panis Angelicus- I am ashamed. Usually I abhor this pseudo-classical, partly canned approach to music. People really think this stuff is classical? Not even remotely. But as long as you classify it correctly, this album is nicely done. It's purely background music, not enough substance for me to want to attend a concert or even watch one on tv (and I burned a copy without the Carol of the Bells track, since that piece kind of bugs me.) But this piece particularly is really nice. They hit their notes well enough, (I am never in pain) and the entire song is like one big deep breath.


Broadway cast recording of White Christmas- Minnesotans, you must go see this show!!!!! It's at the Ordway every other year (This year!!!!) and it is fantastic. The dancing, the Bing Crosby of it all! It's the movie, only on stage, and also, the guy playing the Danny Kaye character is more interested in women than Danny Kaye was. Plus, you don't have to sit through "Choreography" that obnoxiously long piece with the weird dancing. They have replaced that with some fantastic old style tap dancing that is so exciting you might just go out and sign up for lessons. I worked at the Ordway when it was there 2 years ago, and I saw it no less than 48 times. And I would still buy a ticket and see it again. But since I can't do that, I settled for the album (off of itunes) and I listen to it in my classroom. The kids still love to dance to the music, and they sing along with "Happy Holidays" and it's just good clean fun!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I love Sarah McLachlan's whole Christmas CD. A girl I went to high school with, Meredith Patterson, is in one of the lead roles in White Christmas, she is on the CD and the production currently on Broadway. I would go see it here in MN if anyone would go with me.

Goldarn said...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6824sv

http://www.thecoats.net/music.cfm