Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pavlov might have been right...

... and guess which emotion was stronger? I came home the last 3 nights faced with stats homework and discovered that not only do I resent the idea of finding the z-factor for anything, I also don't like chocolate milkshakes. I'm bribing myself with a brownie now. Let's just see if we can't eliminate unhealthy vices from my life altogether. After all, not only have I not had a milkshake in over a week, I have also dropped a pants size and fit back into the clothes I wore before I left for Minnesota. While I feel a deep sense of loss over the whole milkshake thing, I wonder if I could keep it up? And I wonder what will happen if I allow myself these things without requiring it to coincide with stats homework?

On another pavlovian related note, I also now realize my deep resentment for homemade crocheted ponchos. You see, there is this old lady in one of my classes that irritates me SO much. She argues with the professor and is alll sorts of a know-it-all particularly when she knows nothing at all. She treats people in the class with this air of authority and even her occasional compliments seem condesending. And she wears a different homemade crocheted poncho every day. Along with various other crocheted paraphenalia (like the fingerless gloves and the occasional legwarmer). And today I saw someone on campus wearing one, and it wasn't even that old lady, but I immediately disliked the person, just because of their choice of cold-weather covering. A case might be made, however, for some sort of bias. After all, while I am unsure that I ever had strong feelings about crocheted ponchos before, I am certian that I never thought them to be an appropriate accessory for anyone between the ages of 10 and 65. Let's face it, they are cute on little girls and they are functional on old ladies, but anyone between those ages has no business wearing one. No matter who made it.

This all seems so negative, so let me end on a positive. Tonight was the first staging rehearsal for Macbeth. I love staging rehearsals. I love opera. I love sitting in the wings waiting for a cue, trying to remember said cue, getting notes from the director, and running like a madwoman to try and make the next cue. I particularly love this one because sitting in the wings and waiting is accompanied by the onstage voices singing things by Verdi. And while no one will be able to tell its me, (due to the elaborate costuming) you should know that I am the very first person onstage and center in the whole show. So if you are coming, you will be able to find me. Happy day, I love the theatre.

In fact, I have been spending so much time focusing on music lately that I am remembering how much I loved studying it, which makes it much more difficult to go back and study other things. Like stats. Which I should be doing right now.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I have to take a stats class next. You aren't making me very excited.

I'm now wondering if I should start eating oreos every time I do the dishes. Hm, you might have something here. "The Pavlovian Diet". You could write a book.

BTW, there is one more group I approve the poncho for and that is nursing mothers. They are a handy nursing covering.

Brenda said...

I can't wait for the 23rd!!

Ann Marie said...

You don't like chocolate milkshakes anymore! That speaks pretty strongly for statistics considering hunger is the strongest drive we can experience. Wow!

Brittany said...

I want to see Macbeth so badly! Although I'm not sure how we'll manage it. Break a leg though! Oh, and yay for dropping a pants size! I wish I could find a way to do that and still eat things I like. Oh wait.