Monday, September 22, 2008

My new friend Filbert

He hangs out on my ceiling and watches the sunrise with me every morning. Want to meet him?

I just don't have the heart to kill him, so I hope he isn't poisonous. I am someone who would rather see a friendly spider patrolling the neighborhood for nasty bugs like mosquitos than kill it and have it be all gushy and squashed. Filbert doesn't bother me, and I feel like since he likes to watch the sunrise too, we have a sort of a connection. But I suppose if he is poisonous, I will catch him and free him in the garden in my backyard. At least then he can continue to watch the sunrise!




(You can see the pink tounge from my cherry snowie...)




This weekend some friends and I went to the Real game. I truly enjoyed it, even if I know less about soccer regulations than about football. I paid $4 for a cup of crushed ice, and enjoyed doing it for two reasons. 1. I am a grown up, and I can do it if I want to. 2. I could afford to.

The Real lost, but that doesn't ever matter as much to me. The great joy is sitting in the stands with friends and strangers, teasing and laughing and connecting with people. Have you noticed how much we are disconnected from people in our world? I wonder if that is why we are so blog-addicted. I enjoy reading about everyone's life so much that it actually makes me want to share a little of my own. It feels like a connection that was lost has been at least a little bit re-established. For the past two years I have been at a sort of a disconnect, from my own life particularly, and this was one of the first times since then that I didn't feel lonely in a crowd. I suppose since I don't care who wins, it's a waste for me to fill a seat, but I love to sit in crowds of people and feel a connetion to them. And on that note, I think I should try to get tickets to the BYU/UofU game in November. We could do the whole she-bang. The nightmareish traffic, the screaming fans, the rivalry. I don't care who you are cheering for (although I will be wearing blue), come along and feel like you are a part of something. If not a football game than at least a friendship and a culture and a few hours of frivolous fun. I have become convinced that these connections are what really matter in life.
Maybe I'll even bring my friend Filbert.

7 comments:

Jessie said...

that spider is HUUUUUGE!!! and FURRY!!!! it's creeping me out and i'm no where near it. i miss you.

Carolanne said...

Please tell me he's fake. Normaly I am a spider protector too, but he looks a little scary to be put on my defense list. I suppose, however, that he should be "innocent until proven guilty" like the rest of us. I like the name anyway. As for the game, I recognized a few of those faces and it sounded like fun. It is always better if you don't care who wins, because either way you'll be happy.

Nancy said...

It's not that big and hairy, maybe the size of a penny. The consensus seems to be that I exile him, but I just can't do it! Plus, I specifically posted his picture to "bug" a friend who is TERRIFIED of spiders.

MJ said...

Hey the baby blessing is on Sunday at 1:20. You know how if you go to the Provo Towne Center there's that church on 500 right next to it? Ya, its not that one, but the next one down 500. In the north chapel. If you need more specific directions, let me know.

The spider is gross.

susan m hinckley said...

I don't know whether I'm the friend, or just another friend, who is terrified of spiders . . . but it feels kind of thrill-ee and dangerous to look at a picture of him. Aren't you worried about him dropping down on you while you are sleeping and then DOING WHATEVER IT IS SPIDERS DO THAT MAKES THEM SO GOSH-DARN-TERRIFYING???!!!

Jake and Chelsea said...

our friend-spider in the phone book, Dex, passed away. and so did his new neighbor. i don't know what happened. but jake and i were both truly saddened by his passing. i think the only reason i could handle him being around though was that he was not where i sleep. or even sit. i would just walk by him a few times every day and say "why hello, dex".

-Loni said...

OK--I am completely terrified for you. Anything with that much red on it means DANGER! It just LOOKS poisonous! That thing would've been smooshed and flushed down the toilet as quickly as possible if it were in my house. Sorry bug lovers.