Monday, July 13, 2009

It has been requested....

...that I regale you all with an update of my life. There are still many things in motion that have not quite solidified enough for me to want to share details. But I can tell you about the conclusions I have come to!

You may have heard it said that insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. I am no longer going to participate in the insanity.

I took an "assesment" test this evening. It was one of those computerized tests that gives you questions in increasing difficulty according to your answer to the previous question. It is supposed to assess college level skills. I aced the reading comprehension. 100%. I aced the writing portion. 100%. I aced the math skills section. 100%. I remembered how to factor polynomials in the basic algebra section. Not 100%, but decent enough. Then I started this section called "college algebra". Eeep. There were these symbols that reminded me vaguely of something I saw in a textbook a lifetime ago. Seriously, I took college algebra in 1994. People are taking college algebra now who weren't even conceived in 1994. There was a time in my life when I knew how to identify the function of f. There was a time in my life when I knew how to calculate sin and cosin, and I at least knew what tangent meant. Of course, the only reason I could figure out the hypotenus was because of that joke my dad used to tell.

See, there was this Indian Chief, and he had 3 squaws in his tribe that were all going to have babies. He went hunting to find hides as gifts for each squaw. The first squaw had a beautiful baby boy, and he presented her with the hide of a bear. The second squaw had a beautiful baby boy, and he presented her with the hide of a deer. The third squaw had twins, two boys, and the chief presented her with the most rare hide he could find. The hide of a hippopotamus. And so you see, the sons of the squaws of the other two hides were equal to the sons of the squaw of the hippopotamus.

And with that, I really hope I don't have to retake college algebra.

That's all the info you get for now, let it stew for a while, and by the time you figure things out, I will figure things out too.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Great. Now I've got "Modern Major General" stuck in my head.

Jenny said...

Love the hippopotamus story. I can imagine your dad telling it too, and I've only seen him once.

Well, Nancy, living in a nebula is unsettling. But it has a lot of potential. I foresee a great creation story (spiritually first, then physically, right?).

Jenny said...

And now I have Generals and Majors by XTC stuck in my head (and the band jumping on the giant castle-such a funny video).