Sunday, May 13, 2012

Summer Reads

You guys are awesome.  I knew I could count on my friends to be better than a google search for blog topics.  Feel free to keep the questions coming, I'll answer as many as I get to.

First question: What are you reading for fun right now. 

Ah yes, the summer read.  I so anticipated reading for fun, more and more as finals rolled on.  Here are a few things I've been going through, summer goals, as it is:

Man's Search for Meaning, Victor Frankl.
Yeah, just a little light readting, right?  Actually, compared to the textbooks of the past semester, it was. And it has been sitting on my list since starting the Master's program. My professors keep quoting it and citing it and assigning chapters from it, but its been a shamefully long time since I've read it in its entirety, so it was the first thing I picked up.  It only took me a morning, and it was a good way to ease back out of academic stuff. Though provoking and easier to ge through that "Adult Psychopathology and Diagnosis".

Beethoven As I Knew Him, Anton Schindler
I found it on a library sale bookshelf during finals week, and couldn't resist.  This was one I frequently referenced and heard about in my undergrad, but never read in its entirety due to time constraints.  I figured since my academic reading brain was in shape and my music brain was being starved, this could round things out a bit.  And it did.  It felt good to be back in familiar territory.

No Toil Nor Labor Fear, James B. Allen
Its the biography of William Clayton (the guy who wrote Come Come Ye Saints) that I borrowed from a friend months ago and got really into but then school took over.  Fascinating read.  The writing isn't my favorite style, but its not bad, just not mine.  The information, though, is pretty awesome.

A Century of Singing, J. Spencer Cornwall
Yet another library booksale find.  History of the MoTab.  I figured it would be good info.  Also fascinating, although I recognize its really geared for an audience as specifically obsessed with the choir as me.  So, you know, not a very broad spectrum of people.  But I'm enjoying it.

But Nancy, you may say, These are all so dry and history-ish and academic-y still, even if they reflect your interests and obsessions, they aren't "fun".

No, I'll admit.  Not "fun" at all.  Which is why my summer reading goals are different than my summer fun reading. 

My summer fun reading can be summed up with one author: Terry Pratchett. 

Actually, that's not entirely true, since my first read is called "good omens" and it was co-written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.  Which reminds me how much I love Neil Gaiman, so I'll probably read a bit of his stuff too. 

Now if you know me and you know Terry Pratchett, you may be surprised to learn that I haven't read all of his stuff yet.  Believe you me, its been on the list, its just that I haven't gotten there yet.  And if you don't know Terry Pratchett, think of a sort of Douglas Adams wit with fantasy instead of sci-fi.  If you don't know Douglas Adams, I'm afraid I can't help you.  Also, how are we friends?

And that, my friends, is my summer reading list. 

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Jammie said...

HEHEHEHE! I told my Mom the answer was 42 today...she thinks I'm insane. I'm glad someone understands.