Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seven Things Tag

Oh yes, another tag. It's seven things that you probably don't know about me. The thing is, I am starting to run out of things that you might not know about me. My life is becoming an open blog page, as it were. But at the same time, I am drawing a blank as to what else to post, so here goes my attempt at 7 things.

1. I love to floss. I didn't always love to floss, but sometime in the past 10 years I started loving it, and keep dental floss in my purse so that I can floss whenever I feel the need. There is something particularly soothing to me about calling another teacher into my classsroom so that I can slip into the bathroom at work and floss for a few minutes.

2. I actually want to take the GRE now. Not because I think I will do particularly well, but because I want to know where I stand, how close I am to acceptance into a Masters program. But also a little because I want the pride kick that could possibly come from doing well on it.

3. I regret having graduated from college too soon. Not that I was too young when I graduated, but that there were a lot of classes that I still want to take. There is a lot of learning I stil need to do, and now that I have a BA, academia makes it more difficult for me to just take some classes.

4. I still have a crush on Matthew Perry's character from Friends. Chandler Bing. What a ridiculous name. I also have a crush on Hawkeye from MASH and Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 and Bryn Terfel (the opera singer). And Gene Kelly. And I might have a political crush on one of our congressmen from here in Utah. And also I think President Uchtdorf was and is really handsome. I like Mark Harmon too. There is no consistency.

5. Actually, there is some consistancy. I am a sucker for brown eyes. Those other people are all distant and sometimes unrealistic characters, but in real people that I interact with every day, I have a weakness somewhere in my lungs, just behind my heart, for brown eyes. If I ever have kids, they had either better all have brown eyes or none of them, because I have noticed a distinct difference in my ability to be firm or teach discipline to children when they have those big brown eyes. Just the other day, a wholly destructive child told me that he wanted to throw ice chunks at his friends because he wanted to see what it would be like if they got hurt, started bleeding, and had to go to the hospital, but he said it with big brown sparkling eyes and long laughing lashes, and I had to ask another teacher to deal with him, because I was too enamoured.

6. I have a tendancy to believe conspiracy theories. I come by it honestly, genetically even, from my dad. Did the CIA kill Kennedy? Was the moon landing staged? Is Big Oil running the Republican party? Are Wal-Mart CEO's actually intent on destroying capitalism and taking over the world? The jury is still out on these things, but I know which way they are leaning and I see the logic in the evidence. Don't worry, I am also well aware of the crazy, and I try my best to tone it down. At the same time, oil prices dropped drastically during election season....

7. I go through phases of obsessing over certain expressions of art. My current musical obsession, since Thursday, has been Gorecki's 3rd symphony. I can't get enough of it right now. My current poetry obsession is Diary of an Old Soul, the writing is beautiful and I can't quite take it all in. My current art obsession is Degas Ballerina pieces, I am fixated not on the color but on the shading. I even went so far as to search some black and white scans. My current singing obsession is German Arias and art songs. I have never been able to handle singing in German, but right now they are in my head. I don't have a current literature obsession, since I haven't read a really good new book in a while. I am doing a lot of re-reading of Newberry Award winners though. My current piano obsession is Beethoven, which is only unusual because it is not Mendelssohn.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Wow Nancy, I didn't know all but one of those, and that's only because I watched you obsess over different aspects of art while we were living together. I also find myself melting for a pair of brown eyes, it's an unfair weakness.